It seems that spring it the time for BABIES! Seriously. Go with me. I’m not being scientific but, judging by the amount of birthday baked goods I’ve been making lately, I’m pretty sure I’m on to something… And, I know some lovely people who are going to be ROCKSTAR parents!! Congrats 🙂
Thus, I figured it was time to share another recipe! This is one that my beloved roommate M. REALLY adored. (His mix-ins were dark chocolate shavings and dried cherries…) And, it’s in the birthday rotation. So, it MUST be good!
Here goes: Cookies that are as easy as…
Love Speckled Macaroons
Inspired by Ina Garten
- 14 oz sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 extra-large egg whites at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (feel free to omit this, if it conflicts with your mix-ins)
- ½-1 Cup Mix-Ins: Mini chocolate chips, dried fruit, fresh fruit, butterscotch chips, cinnamon chips, peanut butter chips, toasted almonds… You get the idea!
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Let the coconut, sweetened condensed milk, mix-ins, cinnamon (if using), and vanilla party together in a bowl. Stir. (Note: Be sure to lick the spoon from the condensed milk. Heavenly!) Whip the egg whites and salt on high-speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make floppy (but not Styrofoam!) mountain peaks. Baking people call this medium-firm, I believe. CAREFULLY (this is a place we want all that air) FOLD the egg white mountains into the party mix bowl.
Drop the lightened party batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper by the spoonful. Bake until your nose and mouth go crazy! This takes about 25-30 minutes. Your cookies will look like white gold be-speckled love mountains! Isn’t that grand?! Yup. Thought so.
And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY D.!