There are a couple of recipes I come back to. Correct that. There are a couple of recipes people make me come back to. One of them is PESTO. Turns out I make a mean green sauce :).
I like especially like to put in in egg scrambles w/ cheese and tomatoes (YUM!) or on pizza. But you can do with it what you wish…
(It’s good on a spoon too. I’m just saying.)
And, remember, this recipe is just a sketch! Please feel free to substitute cheeses and nuts with relish :p. Well, not actual relish but you get me- haha!
Basil “AMAZING” Pesto
Inspired by Ina Garten
- 1/3 cup walnuts – toasted
- 1/3 cup pine nuts – toasted
- 12+ cloves garlic SMASHED – I know! I know :p
- Basil – Enough to fill a blender 2/3 full (about 6 cups)
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1.5 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 – 1 + 3/4 cups good extra virgin olive oil – (Oil amount will change depending upon if you want a loose or tighter spread)
- 1 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese – The good stuff please!!
Place the walnuts, pine nuts, and garlic in the blender (or food processor if you have one– alas, I don’t!) with a tablespoon of olive oil. Blend until you’ve made a delicious CHUNKY garlic, nut-butter paste. Add the basil, salt, and pepper. Continue to blend as you slowly pour the olive oil into the mixture. You WILL have to stop a few times and stir / mix. DO NOT do this with the blender running. (I know it is very tempting. But, please trust me—I broke a blender by ‘jabbing’ the pesto mix in this fashion. MAJOR whoops!) Blend until all basil is shredded and you have a pesto sauce! This will probably take 3-5 minutes. Lastly, add the Parmesan and mix. IT’S DONE 🙂 .
You WILL become an herby hero. Be prepared to sweat garlic.
And, feed this to your lover—just so that you can eat MORE too! 😛